Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The last few days have been full of lots and lots of sports... who knew right. Saturday morning I went to the sports grounds in town and watched a basketball game. It was a part of the national league... think NBA of Kenya, but it's actually more like lower level college basketball in the US. It was still really fun because they played at an outdoor asphalt court, not fun if you fall. Saturday afternoon I watched a game from the nationwide soccer league and my friend coaches one of the teams. Saturday night I got to go out and enjoy some Kenyan music and drinks. The beer of choice here being Tusker...

On Monday, there was a try-out for the program called Aspire Africa. It's a program that goes to 9 different countries trying to recruit young talent to come and train at an academy in Qatar. It is open to boys born in 1995. So there are a bunch of tryout sites in the country and then they choose a few from each site and those boys go to Nairobi for the final tryout and the best 3 are given full scholarships to live and train in the academy in Qatar. So it's a really cool program, even though not many kids will benefit from it. So I met the Spanish scout who was here choosing the players and it was a really fun day. Later in the day, there was another game I watched and it ended up pouring in the middle of the game and everyone stood in this abandoned house for like 30 mins. The rain wouldn't stop so we had to run across the "field", which was actually just mud by that point, to get to the vehicle we were taking home. I was absolutely soaked and stepping in huge mud puddles and sinking up to my ankles in mud while all these people were waiting in buildings around us and laughing and yelling "mzungu" (white person)... it was quite the sight.

I have a cold right now so I didn't do much today. Not exactly roughing it right now as I'm sitting in my living room writing this blog entry because we have a wireless modem and I just watched Oprah and now switching back and forth between MTV and E!Entertainment channel (Yes I have cable, which has a few American channels). Yet, I did take a bucket shower today, had to pour water in the toilet to flush it, and washed dishes WITHOUT running water. I love it here!

No comments: