Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So recently the thing that I have missed most about home is the FOOD, or should I say the variety of food. I love the food here, don't get me wrong, but there just isn't as much stuff as home. I went into town yesterday to do only one thing... go to the supermarket and buy cheese!!! I came home and made a cheese and vegetable sandwich and was in absolute heaven. It's the little things in life....

Work is going well. I've basically been doing a lot of planning recently for an academy that is going to be started by KYFA. It will basically be a mobile clinic that will move around Kisumu and do mini-camps on the weekends for kids. I've also been planning the budget for the HOVIC soccer team that will play in the league for the first time this season. The kids are so excited to be part of a team and be playing and thankfully a lot of people from home have been really great and generous with contributions to help fund them.

Not much other news here. Serena Williams was in Kenya last week opening a secondary school that has been named in her honor. I watched a news story last night about recent violence in a prison here. An inmate (who somehow had a camera phone in prison?!!?) had filmed the guards making many prisoners strip and then beating them until they were unconscious and even killing one man. Most likely no one will be arrested in this case... just a different world here.

All else is well. Just looking forward to my trip to the coast next week. Touristy vacation, here I come!

No comments: